Composer's Club 2011-2012

This year I am involved in a new club that is designed for passionate musicians of the ISK high school. We meet every Wednesday after school for 2 hours and arrange other meetings within the small ensembles that are playing specific pieces. I am involved in about 10 different pieces playing the drums for all of them. Some are covers of songs, like "Fix You" by Coldplay, but most songs are original compositions by members of the club. For the songs I am a part of, I composed the drum music for it. The practices and meetings are to prepare for a concert to be hosted at ISK on April 14th that will raise money for Operation Smile. The club is also partnering up with the Friends of Marich club that I am also involved in. We will be performing a few acts in a concert at Tamambo at the Village Market. It will help to raise money for the club and donate to Bridging the Gap Foundation.
Personally at this club, I have developed my skills as a musician on both instruments trumpet and drums, but mainly the drums because we have only tried a few songs with me on the trumpet. I also am experiencing playing and performing in small groups, instead of individually or in a large band. It is an opportunity to form an intimate relationship through music with my peers, and interact and work together. To brainstorm ideas, and explore the endless possibilities in music. I have had a great time at this club and look forward to coming to every practice session. It is a lot of fun to play music and make new friends doing it. We have had to be creative to come up with new parts to old songs and to create parts for entirely new songs. As we prepare for the up coming concert we put in many hours of practice and have really bonded well as a group. It has helped me with time management skills because I need to make room for school work, sport, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment