Jazz Band (2010-2012)

I have been a part of the ISK Jazz Band for 5 years now, I am an experienced trumpet and drums player, but I have mainly played the trumpet throughout my Jazz Band years. I have played in many concerts and many events around Kenya, including a trip to Mombasa performing at a school there. As a senior I am one of the more experienced musicians in the Band. Practices are every Wednesday and Friday mornings an hour long each. So far in senior year we have played one concert which was at the PTO Welcome Back Picnic. So far this year I have been unable to attend all of the practices because of Varsity football on Wednesday mornings, but now that it is finished I will have more time for Jazz Band. Last year we played in over 10 performances including a function at the Moroccan ambassador's house for a silent auction that raises money for various projects around Kenya. We also performed at  the Born Free Gala dinner and a Mardi Gras function at the American Embassy. Throughout my Jazz Band career I have developed drastically as a trumpet player and overall musician. There have been many occasions when during performances, I have had to sight read a piece of music because I have never seen it before due to a few missed practices because of football practice. This has allowed me to improve on this skill and be able to apply it in a performance situation, which is a useful skill. Jazz Band has also helped improve my technique on the trumpet and increased playing endurance. It is hard work on the lips and cheeks to play the trumpet, so practising and performing has increased my stamina. My main goal for this year is to play to the best of my ability and help the younger trumpeters learn techniques I have mastered from my seven years of trumpet experience. So far I have mentored some of the younger players to a degree in certain songs, and teaching them easy ways to remember notes. I would like to continue this and continue playing well in performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment