CAS Final Essay


The IB CAS programme has had a profound effect on my life. It has changed my skills, values, initiative, and overall world view. It has taken me to many places to learn new things, and develop as a human. Overall, my CAS experience has been an enlightening one mainly because I have learnt many new things, but also because I have learnt many new things about myself. As a whole it has helped mould me into a well-rounded individual. CAS has many important aspects to it, the full IB student should: undertake new challenges, initiate activities, work collaboratively, show perseverance and commitment, engage in issues of global importance, consider ethical implications of their actions, be aware of their own strengths and areas for growth, and develop new skills. All of these characteristics are present in me thanks to CAS and the activities I’ve been involved in.
I have obviously undertaken new challenges through this CAS programme. For example my week-long learning to snowboard and learning to sail trips were both action activities I had never done before. They were challenging because it was the first time I had tried either of them, but they were fun. With every activity I take part in for CAS, there is some aspect of a new challenge I have never come across, for example in Composer’s Club, I have never been a part of a musical arrangement until recently.
In the initiation of activities section, I have helped the planning of events such as the concert by composers club and Friends of Marich that will take place in April to raise money for Bridging the Gap Foundation and the Friends of Marich club. I have also taken the initiative to plan an indoor football tournament to also raise money for the Friends of Marich club. In the past I have helped the organization of the ISK Mini World Cup.
Working collaboratively is a strength of mine that I have had to apply to many activities like being in the Varsity and ISSEA football teams, as well as being in the Jazz Band and Composer’s Club. On service trips I have also had to demonstrate this characteristic like when building a playground for a small school near the Marich Field Study Center.
I have shown perseverance and commitment to all of the activities I was involved in, this was definitely true when I sacrificed an entire weekend to organize and help at the Mini World Cup, I was committed to the cause of making sure the tournament ran smoothly weeks before the event began. I also demonstrated commitment to the Friends of Marich club; this is my 3rd year of helping the cause that is the Pokot region of Northern Kenya. It is amazing to witness 1st hand how a club has grown and progressed from its foundations, this is certainly true for Friends of Marich.
In this very club I am also involved with issues of global importance like travel infrastructure that comes in the form of the bridges we built on the Marich field trip. We also address conservation on the Senior Trip this year with the work and learning we did at the Watamu Turtle Watch. The issue of poverty was tackled when raising money at Goals to Go. Other initiatives involve the threat of pollution to the local environment, and promoting sustainability within a community.
Whilst being involved in CAS I have been considering the ethical considerations of my actions. This has been demonstrated through every activity I have participated in because I am well aware of ethics and morals involved in interactions with other people. For example, playing football I always demonstrate good sportsmanship and fair play. When visiting a another tribe or culture I make sure to respect their values and traditions like the Pokot Tribe in Northern Kenya when I went on the Marich Field Trip in 11th grade.
After every activity I have completed in the CAS programme, I have been aware of my strengths and weaknesses in the area. I can then use this knowledge to further my learning and continue to improve. A perfect example of this would be on the Ski Trip during March of 2011. My instructor made me aware of my strengths and what I need to improve on, I also used his example to apply to my own situation and decided for myself how I could improve better. I needed to work on my turn from heel-side to toe-side of my board.
Throughout CAS my main goal has been to develop new skills, I achieved this in many senses. Like improving my football skills at a high level, learning to sail, learning to snowboard, continuing with my passion for music, learning to compose, and developing people skills through service activities that have given me much responsibility.
My overall CAS experience has been enriching with new experiences that have moulded me into the person I am today. I use skills and my enhanced worldview in any difficult situations I encounter. I have participated in dozens of fun activities through CAS that have developed my personality.

12 comments:

  1. Hi.I'm going to be a IB student next year and i want to know more about the IB life. If you see this comment, please email me and i really want a language friend.
    my email address: kazki48@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. wow u is fuckn harsh bro he just a fellow ib student tryna bullshit his was through the program

      Delete
    2. fack ya cunt. U dont know shit about my life, your a slut with sagy ballsak tittiis. Suc ma duck #pu$$yIBbitch

      Delete
    3. James Stewit...u do understand that you are contradicting yourself right! You told that Hubert doesn't know shit about your life and your next phrase was "you are* a slut with sagy ballsack* titties".
      You bitch, if u didn't waste your time Bullshitting about this really smart gentleman, you'd end up having a life everyone knows off and wants too. Clearly u believe otherwise you deluded cunt ass son of a bitch. If pity your mum.

      Delete
    4. BTW "saggy ballsack titites makes no sense. What does make sense is the fact that I fucked ur mum last night and she had saggy tities!

      Delete
  3. Good to know you James Spilsbury!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. ay james there's no way that u did this with a straight face bruh. u crazy ain't no one care about CAS this much.

    ReplyDelete